I thought I'd take a break from painting tiny models for a bit and do some bigger stuff. I've had a few 40K projects sitting around waiting to be done so I started working on those:
New Imperial Guard
First off, I finished off the Rescue Russ. It came up pretty well and fits in nicely with my existing armour:
I also finished the assembly of a squad that's been waiting for parts FOR ever:
They've finally arrived so what will become a squad of Cadian Stormtroopers (none of this Tempestus Scions BS) and I'm just going to hope this will work in the 9e Codex! This is another one of the really cool GW multi-part kits and TBH, I have no idea why it's getting a resculpt for the 9e Codex although I'm of that opinion of almost all the revealed new designs so far. Why new Sentinels?
And other stuff!
Despite the break, I have also gotten moving on some of the smaller stuff. First off, platoon-a-month mortars for Flames of War:
The release of the Flames of War LW Bulge German lists (especially the Volksgrenadiers) has reignited my enthusiasm for this work so with these done, its just the Grenadiers to go. I gave a Volksgrenadier list a test run against Blogger Scotty yesterday and oof. Reluctant/Trained/Aggressive infantry is very....brittle. The theory I wanted to try out sort of works - being really aggressive and trying to concentrate some fairly rubbish troops at a point - I just did it very badly.
I've also done a little bit of painting on my ADLG-R Spaniards:
I hate painting horses in ways I can barely begin to describe so I thought I'd start with the cavalry in this army. The generals were a nice place to start learning about how Khurasan sculpts come out. They are stunning and I love how they're coming up. I've done the grind work on the horses for my caracoling pistoliers too so they'll be the next task for this army.
I'm working on a plan to get through the backlog for the second half of the year so that''ll be next week - with a bit of an idea of where it's going.