Saturday 4 March 2023

Pooch's February update

And we are back for February!

A short month, but not too short on progress with something completed for each of the goals.

1. Paint a platoon for Flames of War

From the desert to the snow, with some progress into my Late War US Armoured company, which I will be running at our upcoming club competition Valleycon.

The first unit is something painted from start to finish, an M4 Mortar platoon. Cheap and effective, the mortar platoon are there for smoke, and for getting rid of pesky infantry and anti-tank guns.

White-washed, and with a sweet pink air recognition panel

The second is a unit I had previously painted, but needed to update to fit my latest whitewash style- four M8 Scotts! I do so love the M8. Small Stuart chassis, with a big open turret and a stubby wee 75mm gun. What's not to love? 

Not cheap, nor super effective. Luckily they look awesome!

Next up? Oh goodness I have a lot of Shermans to paint....

2. Add something to armies I have already painted

But wait, it's more Warhammer Underworlds Warbands! The first is one I got for Christmas, and I am ridiculously excited by. Grinkrak's Looncourt is Goblins... pretending to be knights. Their objectives and cards are super different to every other faction I have, and part of me assumes that this crew exisits purely for the (k)night goblin pun.....

Goblins!

Naturally, I had to paint them in bright purple and white, like the regal knights that they are...

A close up of three of the characters...

And of the business end of the "squig-a-pult". Because of course we need a squig-a-pult.

The second warband for the month is some more Stormcast Eternals, this time Cursebreakers. Stormcasts with magic! Done in the same golden style as my others, I am quite happy with how they look as a warband.

And of course on Canny Miniatures bases once again!

Second up is maintaining my vague plan of finishing up one Marvel Crisis Protocol miniature each month, trying to work through the back log of miniatures I have sitting there.

This month, is the goddess of death herself, Hela! She was a fun experiment in using the Hexwraith Flame technical paint, coupled with an Army Painter fluro to really get the green to pop. All in all? Really happy with her.


And lastly in this category, we have a bunch of single civilians that I have painted for the Don't Look Back game. I had painted a full set of them as a commission and really enjoyed it, so I bought myself the starter set to the game and set about painting them!

The six survivors from the core box

And four additional survivors

Plus, the game needs a killer, so naturally I had to get a couple of those too!

Three such nice looking faces. Upstanding members of the local town....

And... turns out it's not only terrestrial killers who have turned up in this small generic American town....

I'm sure they come in peace.....

3. Finish up a piece of terrain

Terrain this month is some pieces for the Don't Look Back game (are you seeing a theme now?). Some were pieces I had Potbelly print for me, others were ones which I had in my spares pile.

The Campsite, designed by Black Site Studios, and printed by Potbelly

The Caboose comes from Sarissa, and contrast paints did wonders on painting it!

Look how happy it's one "careful" owner is!

And of course, you can't have Aliens without their crashed UFO, right?

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

The game this month was playing a number of games of Don't Look Back, which were an absolute blast! 

The game is designed by people who clearly love their 80s/90s horror movies. The players take charge of individual civilians, they have a mission to complete, and there is a killer out there hunting them.

As a game it plays like a horror movie. The killer appears randomly, which ratchets up the tension on when they appear, and when they do? Well, they are very murdery. We managed to play four games of it this month, and I am really happy to add it to the stable of games that will be a great one to just play when we are in need of a game.

How cool does the campsite look in situ (thanks Potbelly for printing it!)

The Smiley Face killer finds a victim.....

The chainsaw killer ambushes some teens, just as they are near to the car to escape!

The teens did get away.... not so much the adult they were with....

Maybe... don't explore "abandoned" railroad cars?

For sure more games of this to come!

5. Paint a Hundred Years War French Army for ADLG

This month I actually combined the two sub-goals, painting not one, but two Knights! 

Paint one Knight for ADLG

The single knight for the month:

Two more noble knights for the cause!

Paint one base for ADLG

And now three knights finished too!

Three Knights!

Next up might be some thing far less from the nobility I think, and maybe some basing.... but regardless, on to March!


Pooch

No comments:

Post a Comment