Saturday 16 March 2024

One PG-13 Greek?

I have been doing a lot of work on my Mycenaeans this last week and I'm really happy with how progress is ticking along. First off, the strike wing of the pre-Trojan War list: 

The chap in the blue sash is (GASP!) Museum's model of Priam of Troy but in a twist, I decided the model was great and he'd make an excellent General. Irony of ironies, he'll be subbing in for Nestor in the Trojan War Achaean version of this list. 

Overall, I like the group but I am umming and ahhing about whether to repaint the chariot outers as cowhide in the same way I'm going to do the figure of eight shields on the spearmen, mostly to break up the overwhelming wall of tan. I think I'll do some spearmen and see how I feel about the cowhide. If it works, the chariots might get redone.

Next off, some formed bowmen: 

Unlike my skirmishing archers, these are all wearing boar tusk helmets and carrying actual swords and they look great. Once again I did the dirty on the Greeks, I subbed in the figure for Paris from the Trojan heroes pack - I like having character models in my units and this unit of bow isn't getting the full blown standard and musician (because all the generals in this army are Included) so I thought I'd use it.

Finally, and two of the bases I like most, are the two Myrmidons:

You can see Achilles in the centre of the right-hand base with the standard and musician. The chap in the centre of the other base was a bit PG when I ran the contrast paint over the skin and discovered it just kept going. 😆 I like the fact these bases add a huge whack of colour while still sticking pretty close to the tan / bronze / black palette of the rest of the army.

Achilles was the first of the Greek heroes to make an appearance. Agamemnon, Odysseus, Ajax and Diomedes will be used on the various Spear generals (alongside Nestor in his chariot) to add some serious amount of character to the general bases.

Next Time

It's club day and I'm helping out Blogger Pel with a teaching game of Late War Flames of War so will be helping a new player navigate how Tigers kill Cromwells. I'm also playing another test game with the Italians so will give them a burl against a MW British Para outfit with Churchills (!) I'll keep working on the Mycenaeans as well - I'm really enjoying how the army is coming together. I also need to get into some camp work at some stage...

No comments:

Post a Comment