Saturday 4 June 2022

Infantry should look splendid, with little uniformity.

We're bearing down on our club's annual competition weekend and for once I'm not painting furiously in advance of the weekend. So far, finding my Hetzer stat card for my Flames of War army is the most complex thing I've had to do.

Since I'm not painting furiously for the event, I'm doing some other stuff...

A surprise? 

So the nerds have been playing a lot of ADLG and when someone (Blogger McBeth?!) produced the Renaissance rules, I might have gotten a touch excited. We spent a lot of time going back and forth about 15mm or 28mm until someone (again, Blogger McBeth?!) dug out Khurasan Miniatures. I had a wee nosey at their 16th Century range and discovered one of those armies I'd always wanted was suddenly a goer - Early Spanish Colonial and all it's Tercios!

I'm really impressed with the Khurasan sculpts. They're very slim and finely detailed, which is both amazing and challenging when I haven't painted a 15mm model thats not set in the last 70 years or so in a LONG time. I found a great painting resource and the first line of the description of the infantry is:

Infantry should look splendid, with little uniformity

 Yay, I said. That'll be fun, I said. So I painted some test models - my LF Arquebus Elite and my Medium / Heavy Artillery base and honestly, I think they do look splendid. 

But I look at the 96 infantry in three Tercios I have staring back at me and I am afraid! I know there's a stupid number of flags on the horizon but this is going to be a big job.

 Freeblade! 

And she is finished! My Freeblade Errant knight "Castellum Angelorum", the Castle of Angels. This was a really fun painting project - I spent a lot of time looking at models online and poring over my transfer collection to see what I could do with this one. I'll dig the Armigers out some time soon and start seeing what I can do with those now. I've got an idea for one and a half formed idea for a second but I'll need to come up with a third for a full Freeblade detachment for my Imperial Guard.

And a tank! 

 

This is my sanity project while I work on 15mm stuff. I'm on a real 'clear the decks of jobs' kick at the mo and this tank has been sitting around waiting for attention for TOO long. This tank allows me to put a Guard armoured detachment on the park so with the Guard codex for 9e being one of the last out, I'm keen to get them done in advance of that.

Next Time  

A very late blog in which I shall cover off how badly I did with my 'turrets are for chumps' list at Flames of War and post a bunch of photos of some other cool stuff I know I'll run across over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment