Saturday 6 August 2022

The Semovente Vita!

Our group's really enjoying Flames of War at the moment (as it is wont to do after events) and so I spent this week being entirely distracted from the plans to reduce the pile of projects by, albeit briefly, creating a new project!

I mentioned in my last blog that Blogger Pel had shipped me theMid-War Italian Paratrooper cards and so I've rustled up a bit of a list and will be giving them a run against Scotty's new Mid-War Hungarians at our next club day. Recently Blogger McBeth was looking through the results of previous events and I worked out that this army was built for a Panzerschreck around 10 years ago. It shows! 

 But I decided that I should get it up to snuff for this game with Scotty which meant giving the vehicles a bit of an overhaul, inserting some flamethrowers into the Para platoons and tidying up the basing so it's not as dark and grim and this week, I have managed to achieve all those things!

BURNY!

I went through my bits box and found two (yep. Two.) Italian flamethowers and, wait for it, SEVEN German ones. I started filing down and reshaping the helmets till Blogger Pooch said "why not head swap?" and that was a genius idea and I thank him for it. So two of the flamethrowers have the soft parachute helmet and one the more conventional Italian armoured helmet but they've fitted in really well and, more to the point, it's meant I don't have to take apart my second desert Engineer squad to make this happen.

Hopelessly Outclassed

These lovely little assault guns are gone from version 4 of Flames of War but a 'community' card exists for them and so I decided they're coming back to support my Paras. Ditto for the hopelessly outclassed Renault R.35s which I love. IIRC there weren't any Semovente 47s in Sicily, but I figure if I'm a) rocking a demented army of demented and b) with this absurd colour palette, I'm doing it.

BIG GUN IS BIG

And finally, the piece de resistance, the Semovente 90s! These are the most redonkulous assault guns / tank destroyers ever invented. With Mid-War Monsters returning to Flames of War, these now fit in a 'Wildcard' slot for any army in Mid-War Italian army. I've looked at running Fucilieri in Sicily as an army but, TBH, it's a horde and I don't love horde armies on a good day. 

Next Time

I'll write up a proper game report of my game with Scotty and I'll be doing some more stuff off the pile with my painting time this week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment