Saturday 1 October 2022

Workbench week

I'm suffering from a dearth of painting time at the mo and it's showing. I'm making VERY slow progress on lots of things but it is indeed slow. 

Spanish Colonial

More 15mm cavalry on the block and proving to be a little slow.  I am struggling with the motivation to paint these. I think I'm just out of practice painting things that aren't uniform and it's not going all that well. I've still got 4 Knight bases and two more Tercios to do and they're gonna be hard.

More Underworlds

After running a slightly wrong 3-player game at the club, bloggers Scotty, Pooch and I had another go.  Rippa's Snarlfangs, Blackpowders Buccaneers and the Storm of Celestus met in mortal combat. The combat was mostly mortal for everyone other than Pooch's Storm of Celestus! 

I tried hiding myself away from Pooch's many crossbows, but I did sneak Rippa Narkbad out on one flank to try and a) get him attacked to inspire the rest of the crew, b) knock off one of the Sigmarines cheaply and c) tempt him to chase me.

I succeeded at a). Everything else, less so. On my other flank, my wolves had happily eaten a couple of Gnoblars without too much difficulty. 

I took off into the midfield to score a couple of objectives and buy some of the sweet upgrades I had in my hand and the net result was getting absolutely murdered by an Ogre with a blunderbuss and bunch of Sigmarines who just would. not. die.  In the end, I didn't really play the third turn and Pooch won by a bunch because Scotty couldn't score anything and I was well dead. I think Rippa's Snarlfangs are a very finesse crew - getting the three-on-one early to try and even the numerical challenge is definitely a goal here.

We played a second game between Slythael's Shadestalkers, Hedkrakka's Madmob and Elathain's Soulraid. I only took one photo:

because I haven't finished painting Slythael's Shadestalkers yet. I spent a chunk of the day following along with the painting guide to get her done with a view to finishing the army over the week coming. 

This was right at the end of the game where Slythael herself had tried to kill the Ork boss and then snuck off to finish off the Idoneth boss instead bouncing through the cover hexes. In the end, I won that game by virtue of scoring a pair of 2-glory objectives from having things in cover hexes and committing some serious violence. 

Slythael gets her own photo though as I'm pretty happy with how she came up.

Next Time

I'm taking my mid-war Italians out for a run. I've got a fun little 100-point Guastatori company so that should be a nice change from the usual armoured company. More Underworlds, and hopefully I'll finish the 15mm cavalry I'm working on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment