Thursday 29 September 2022

Pooch's September update

Man, I am really yo-yoing on the timing of these updates. One month is super late, one month is super on time. Is there any rhyme or reason to it?

No. 

Will it change?

Also no.

At least the painting has continued right?

1. Paint a platoon of DAK each month

This month was a bit of an oddball. I had planned on getting a bunch of things done for the DAK, but bad weather prevented me from using the airbrush, and when I did get time to use it, I couldn't get the consistency of the paint or style in a way which I was happy with it. Net result, I only got one of the units I had planned to get done, done!

The locals had been talking a bit about getting back into Early War, which prompted me to do some thinking on what I would add for my DAK to make them more early war appropriate. The answer was obvious, things on a Panzer I chassis! 

With the Panzerjager 1 out of stock, I headed to the 3d printing pages and found an excellent STL. One quick order to Potbelly Miniatures later, and a short time late I had some beautifully printed Panzerjagers in my hands!

3d printed Panzerjagers

I think I might still add some crew to them, but that will be an October job (assuming I can find some!)

2. Add something to armies I have already painted
On the "make some actual progress into my Adeptus Sororitas" front, I have finished up five arco-flaggelants! Maybe not the most glamourous of models, and I didn't love the experience of painting them, but now that they are complete, I do quite like how they have worked out.

Whip it! Whip it good!

Not sure what's up next, I have a bunch there still to work through!

Also this month, McZ and Scotty picked up Warhammer Underworlds, and have painted MANY crews for it. Not one to be left out of a random gaming enthusiasm, I decided to grab a few for myself. I've painted up two crews so far, with more on the way.

Storm of Celestus

Hedkrakka's Madmob

No surprises to guess what my October game will be!

3. Finish up a table of terrain

More Silver Bayonet terrain, this time an MDF church from a local designer, who had purpose built it to be the right dimensions for The haunted ruins scenario in the rulebook.

It was a pretty simple paint job, using spray cans and oil washes, plus some contrast paint on the window frames and many tufts to get the overgrown feel. All in all, I'm pretty happy with what was a simple paint job!

The completed church

Mathilde vs Banshee

Banshee protecting the church

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

Our gaming group pretty much all invested in a 15mm 1980s army, to play the Battlefront game Team Yankee. The group has moved away from the game a bit, prompting people to look at the other rulesets available, to use the super cool models we all own.

Seven Days to the River Rhine has become our game of choice, and this month was time to get my Polish out to give them a go at the new rules!

So to test it out, they fought Tank's US Army....

Scary Polish Infantry hunting a Sgt York

Mighty(?) Polish tanks

Shilka vs Car. Shilka wins.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. The Polish are far from terrible, but needed to have a bit of luck/skill to deal with the M1A1 that Tank fielded!

Definitely want to play more of it.

5. Paint a new historical army

I am probably drawing a long bow with "new", but I have started putting in a bunch of work to my Flames of War Late War US army, with the focus on some upcoming tournaments. Deciding that plain green was a bit boring, and spurred on by my success with the DAK, it was time to give whitewashing a go!

A platoon of early M4 Shermans

3 early M4 Calliopes, because... Rocket roof racks!

 I've got a bunch more that need this treatment, so watch out for more whitewashed  tanks!

MORE PROGRESS IS DEMANDED

Pooch

No comments:

Post a Comment