Saturday 7 January 2023

McZ's Recap and Plans for 2023

As we enter into fourth go at March 2020, it's always fun to reflect back on what got done in our third attempt. I really did paint and play all sorts of stuff - more Flames than anything else, I think, but also ADLG, Seven Days, Star Wars Legion, Warhammer Underworlds, Warmachine Mark IV, Silver Bayonet, Victory at Sea and goodness knows what else. It was a real mishmash and that's great!

I'm really glad we picked up Underworlds - it's a really fun game and given that we have the ability to play most of the warbands that exist in the universe so far it's been a lot of fun. It's a great little light game that, since we're only playing with Rivals decks, is much more manageable and much less serious than playing it with hardcore decks.

Like Pooch, I wish we'd made time to play more Titanicus and Necromunda but maybe those are gaps we can definitely fill in 2023. We still haven't sent our Warmasters into combat yet...

My model of the year!

What does 2023 hold?

Mostly? Finishing things before starting anything else... 

On the list of things to finish:

  • a LW Jagdpanther company for Flames of War
  • Some Jagdtigers for my LW Grenadiers
  • My Renaissance Spanish for ADLG-R
  • A squad of Imperial Guard Stormtroopers
  • Half a dozen Necromunda models
  • A miscellany of 28mm models for Silver Bayonet, Draculas America, DnD and various other things

 Anything new? 

They say that history repeats and I have rather enjoyed McBeth, Pooch, Scotty and clubmate BB talking about 100 Years War as an excuse for a new 28mm ADLG army and poking through the book at other armies of the period, I am sorely tempted by Low Countries. It was the second army I did in 15mm way back when I played DBM and I think I'd like another go at it. I've even dug out the original flag files from 20 years ago and while I'd have to draw and hand-paint them (as they're very pixellated...) I reckon that could be a lot of fun.

Secondly, I'm going to try two new games in '23 - Kill Team and Xenos Rampant. 40K has become too bloated and too changeable for me to keep up with (curse this perpetual magpie-ism!!) and I'm not inclined for the competitive scene which would make me keep up BUT I have all these models and I think I'd like to use them. Kill Team just looks like a lot of fun and will fill that same role as Underworlds as a quick game that can get a few run throughs in gaming time. XR looks like a solid, 2nd-edition-40K-sized game as well that would allow me to really just enjoy painting and playing with cool models and not worrying about codex-creep and more special rules than I can follow.

What else am I looking forward to? 

At some point in '23 I'll be running a DnD campaign for my nerd friends that takes place in one of my three favourite DnD settings, Spelljammer (we've done Ravenloft and one day, one day we'll get to Dark Sun)! It'll slot into where we are at with Storm Kings Thunder weirdly nicely and I'm really looking forward to the motley crew getting completely baffled by ships in space. 

But also with an ounce of pragmatism

There's a lot of changes at Casa del McZ at the mo and I've decided that despite managing to post a blog almost every week since 2018 (when I started painting my AC-130 for TY), I might have to let a few slide in the next few weeks just because I have other commitments and that's okay. 

Next Time

Something - it might even be worth the wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment