Saturday 25 November 2023

10e Combat Patrols? FUN!

So I tried my first two games of Warhammer 40K 10th Edition at yesterday's club. 
 
Our first combat patrol was Grey Knights versus Heresy-era Alpha Legion. In my first turn, the Grey Knight Terminators and their Librarian commander teleported across the board after losing one of their number to a savage lascannon shot in the first shooting step!

 
My Strike Squad eventually charged up the left flank and destroyed Scottty's Havocs and the Terminators waded into the Tactical Squad and slowing cut them to pieces for the loss of a second Terminator. And then Scotty's Contemptor (Helbrute!) turned around and came back from heading for my side of the board and committed absolute murder. Those powerfist hits wrecked my Terminators. In the end, the last three Strike Squad powered into Scotty's commander sending him to his doom before they too were ripped to bits by the Contemptor.  

We re-racked and had a second game, where I took Scotty's Adeptus Custodes (hereafter referred to as Custards) against his stunningly lovely Heresy-styled Black Templars. I've never played with or against Custards before and by the gods it was brutal.

 While Scotty's big squad of Acolytes and Neophytes blitzed my 10 Sisters of Silence out of existence, the squad of Custards and the Shield-Captain shredded a Primaris Repulsor transport, the 5 Assault Intercessors housed within and then crossed the field scoring VPs the whole way and finished off Scotty's entire force for the loss of one Custard and some damage on the Vexilliarius. It was brutal.

Thoughts?

 Mostly pretty happy. The stripped back rules for 10e more generally are reduced to their simplest in Combat Patrol. Given my experience with 8e, the leap for CP wasn't that hard - and the very cleanly designed unit cards were really good to make that easy.  I asked the occasional question to sort out the order of operations and learned some useful things about how wound allocation works and that sort of thing. A quick QRS of the keywords was a thing I definitely should have made for myself.

I definitely figured there's some nuance I have currently missed (like understanding the trade-off of attaching your characters to things) and I'm genuinely curious about the balance in some of these boxes I will be definitely running out the Guard at some stage over the Christmas break to give them a tryout.

Also...  

I also built a cool model (as a reward for assembling flatpack furniture) which is part of my Christmas break Ghosties Completion Programme (TM). The Scriptor Mortis:

will be a proxy for a Nightstalker Mindscreech. In the Nighthaunts army, this is the one serious spellcaster and so this particular model really just slots in beautifully. I'll also be assembling and painting some Chainrasps to proxy in as either Scarecrows or Bloodworms depending on my mood. 

Next Time

I'm grinding Renaissance Spanish cavalry as I'm still painter blocked on the Landsknechts and the two remaining Tercios.

No comments:

Post a Comment