Saturday 21 August 2021

Lockdown Workbench #1

So it's back and it is as vexing as ever. New Zealand is back in lockdown as we try and contain a delta outbreak so we're back to workbenches for a wee while as we don't really know how long this will last.

Stompy Robots

 I've had new carapace weapons for my titans for a while. The Reavers aren't particularly interesting but I really had to post the updated Warlord because these Gatling Blasters are neat.

I might also be getting one of the new Warmaster Iconoclasts when they come out because that giant eff-off chainsword fits perfectly into my Legio Vulpa. Of course I'm not sure when I'll be able to get one....

Victory at Sea

Lockdown has also got me to have another crack at my Victory at Sea Italians. I wasn't super happy with my first attempts so they went in the stripper and I'm having another go.


I think I've posted these before but I decided I didn't like the water - I'd definitely overdone the whitecaps so went back and redid them and cleaned up the water and left a lot less white on the bases and I'm much happier with the result.

Then we're onto the next biggest ships, the Navigatori-class Destroyers. I enjoyed these, even the double candy-striped panels. They were definitely easier to get a result that I'm happy with. I'll keep going with these and, at worst, I'll go back and redo these ones when I get better. 

And now my least favourite experience. I did up my first plane stand as a test paint.

Simply put, do not like. They're cast in soft plastic and the result is that the bases aren't level and don't fit together that well. The flash was irritating and I didn't enjoy trying to get that sorted (and gave up after a while). I also don't understand the asymmetric stand either. It looks weird. The design is clever with the ring on the base that can swap between F and B (for fighter and bomber) is good but the overall product doesn't float my boat as they're much less nice than the ships, which are lovely. I will consider some alternatives.

Next Time

I'll be continuing with more Victory at Sea models - I'm working on the RM Aquila and the rest of the plane stands. After that, I'll have a look at the Etna and the Pola before I crack into the Conte di Cavour and another go at the Vittorio Veneto. I'm also going to do some stuff that's sitting on my task shelf that's already primed as I'm also out of black primer...

No comments:

Post a Comment