Saturday 2 October 2021

Getting back to Byzantines

 As Blogger Pooch alluded to earlier, we've moved on from IMPETVUS to L'Art de la Guerre and as such, those of us with existing 28mm armies have started the arduous process (leaving aside Scotty and Tank both smashing theirs out over our recent lockdown) of rebasing. Getting my Byzantines off their bases was....arduous work as every weapon is in an open hand and I broke off SO MANY spears. 


I now have a small collection of spears, bows and javelins (as apparently, way back in the day, I had the foresight to clip the javelins about 10mm shorter than the spears!) that need an awful lot of superglue scraped off and, TBH, while many are still attached, I suspect rebasing these will remove that particular problem and I can do another phase of the project, putting all these spears back in with 2-part epoxy!

I've also found the last of the shield transfers I used in this project and, while I need some more, it's less than I thought so that was a nice bonus. I'm still thinking on what the basing might look like, at the moment I think a lot of flock and probably some flowers and stuff as this army is relatively discrete, I don't mind wandering from many of my sort of stock plans.

Palette Projects

The painting desire has been largely absent this week, I spent a lot of my hobby time scraping glue, filler and MDF off of Byzantine miniatures but I did add two models to the palette projects Frostgrave / DnD collection: 

On the left, a fighter with a predominantly blue palette and the barbarian using almost exclusively browns. The blue fighter was a bit of an exercise in painting a kind of mithril silver armour with a very gentle blue wash over it which was only moderately successful. I don't hate it, but it didn't come out the way I thought it would. I'm much happier with the barbarian which only used two shades of brown (Vallejo Tan Earth and Vallejo German Camo Medium Brown) some brass for metals and a bit of GW Ushabti Bone for highlights. As much as it's a bit 2000BC fur bikini, it's a cool model.

Flames of War

I decided, on a whim this week, that while there's unlikely to be a FlamesCon this year given the lockdownness of Auckland, I'd try and do the army I was thinking I'd like to take anyway so I've ordered some Jagdpanzer IV/70s for that and assembled these:

A purchase from Blogger Scotty, who decided that maybe he didn't need six Hummels after all. They are quite, quite silly but they add in an interesting element to the mix.

The Catalina? 

No pics this week but progress has been made. I snapped the wing off in a bit of a rage about it not being level and re-levelled it while also fitting new struts under the wings. Doing that exposed a couple more gaps that need attending to (ZOMG) around where the wing meets the hull and around the engine cowlings and exhausts. I should get me some shares in Vallejo with the amount of plastic putty I'm going through! 

Next Time

The finished Catalina? Maybe. I really enjoyed doing the two Reaper adventurers so I think I might do a couple more. I have a ranger that I think will be either be a sequence of greens (too predictable, perhaps?) or maybe an autumnal palette that would be like the palette I used on Saskia but different. I've also got a rogue-y thief and I'm quite tempted to have a crack at an effectively grey-scale palette. If the model looks elfin enough I might even go Drow and that would really be a thing....

1 comment:

  1. your post takes me back... i still recall epoxy gluing loads of spears to my ancient germanic barbarians (metal)... (i think things are easier these days with plastic figures now fairly commonly available???) i keep meaning to build up my romans to fight them!

    ReplyDelete