Monday 5 December 2022

Pooch's November update

Ok. So November is now done too? This is REALLY ridiculous now. But at least this blog is on time?

With one month left to go, how have I gotten on?

1. Paint a platoon of DAK each month

This month we are back to tanks for the DAK, this time the largely unappreciated workhorse of the German Army, the Panzer IV. I say unappreciated for two reasons, the first because it very quickly gets overshadowed by the later marks of tanks (looking at you Herr Tiger!), but also because in Flames of War they are cripplingly expensive in Mid War, especially when you put a long 75mm gun on them.

Which of course, for three of them I have. Because I have always liked the Panzer IV 'special' from the desert battles.

These four tanks represent a Company HQ and a platoon of 3 Panzer IV F2 tanks. 

Company commander Panzer IV F1

Platoon of 3 Panzer IV F2

Next up, back to infantry I think, now that I have managed to get my grubby hands on some more DAK infantry packs!

2. Add something to armies I have already painted

One of the models I have been meaning to add to my Star Wars Legion army is the Spider Droid. It's such a silly design, but oh so wonderful, and so very much in the Star Wars aesthetic.

Plus, it's packing a flamethrower which is just entertaining!

Googly red eyes and a flamethrower nose. What's not to like?

3. Finish up a table of terrain

This month it's back to painting terrain for the Silver Bayonet, first up with the wonderful barn from Battlekiwi, which I built while watching the Black Ferns rugby final...

Done up in the same red tile and moss style as the rest of my buildings

Removable roof, opening doors, all very cool.

And I also finished up this Loonshrine, which I got from somewhere at sometime for reasons. None of which I can remember.

It'll work well as a piece of terrain for goblins to be fighting around for Silver Bayonet, or even Kings of War?

Skulls, a grumpy face and a big bad moon on the top

And more of the same on the other side!

I've got one more building to paint for Silver Bayonet, so aiming to finish that in December to round out the massive amount of progress on that table this year.

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

This month I managed to take the aforementioned Spider Droid out for a spin, taking on McZ's Empire!

The game went poorly (if you are a B1 Battle Droid) but well (if you are the rest of the Separatist force), which is pretty consistent with my experience of playing Droids so far!

Droids!

More Droids!

The Empire!

Playing full size Legion was a good experience, 800 points does provide a lot of things, but not all the things (even for Droids!) The Droid Tank is very good, but the internet had already told me that, repeatedly.

5. Paint a new historical army

December has rolled around, and with it comes the next installment of our end of year Remember December event. 

This time it is Late War, drawn from any of the three Bulge books for Flames of War. I decided to go with my US Paras, and remembered this scene from the Band of Brothers series, where a line of British tankers as a part of Operation Market Garden turned up, then promptly got ambushed....


And so I decided that my Paratroopers needed some British Tank support, in the form of 4 Shermans, two equipped with 17pdrs and all of them equipped with Tulip Rockets!

Four cool as heck Shermans

Side view- I really like the pop of colour that the Tulip rocket provides 

And the front- showing the absurdity that is turret mounted aircraft rockets.....

I'm playing a little fast and loose with the history aspect here- the addition of Tulip Rockets came about later than the Market Garden campaign- but I at least made sure that I got the markings right to represent the Coldstream Guards who used them.

Will they be any good in the game? No clue. They look great in a completely Ork-ish kindof way tho!


ONE MORE MONTH, PROGRESS MUST CONTINUE

Pooch

No comments:

Post a Comment