Sunday 3 July 2022

Pooch's June update

Alright, so a much more timely blog this month, and once again, some good progress made. Will this continue? Well, hopefully the good progress continues, I make no promises for the more timely updates!

The light was particularly poor for photos, but I have persevered in the interest of getting the blog done. So here we are, more than half of the year gone. How am I getting on?

Well....

1. Paint a platoon of DAK each month

The DAK army continues to grow, this time with another 5 early Panzer III tanks. The mighty(?) Panzer III form the core of our army for an upcoming 140 point doubles tournament, Panzershrek.

More Panzers!

The last unit I need to paint for this army is some 221 and 222 armoured cars, so they are up next!

2. Add something to armies I have already painted

I've decided to set myself a bit of a goal for this one (goal within a goal? goal-ception?), mainly so that I actually do work through the reasonably significant backlog of 40k miniatures I have for my Adeptus Sororitas army. 

Visually, I really do like the army, but I have fallen out of routine in getting things painted for it, and it hasn't helped that I haven't been playing 40k either.

This ends now!

So this month I finished up Morvenn Vahl, the leader of all of the Adeptus Sororitas, and for the meta-gamer, a totally crutch unit for Sisters. Will I use her? Probably not. Is she a ridiculously cool model? Yes. Am I really happy with how my old gold recipie looks on her? Also yes.

She also has the benefit of having her photo taken in the light box earlier in the week too!

And I also finished up four Repentia, which are terribly difficult to get a good photo of- they are all dynamic poses and avoiding the camera....

Aaaaand back to potato photos too.

The next unit for them is already built and undercoated- forced progress awaits!

3. Finish up a table of terrain

And we are back to the regularly scheduled 3d prints from Corvus Games! This time, we have trucks and a bus!

I used the airbrush for some of the major paint colours, then using brush work to finish it off, before using the oil washes to finish it off. I'm particularly happy with how the stencil on the cargo truck worked out- it's something that I will keep playing with.

Two trucks....

The front end

And a bus too!

The front of the bus too!

And some cars too!

And the most critical, most important thing I finished this month? Some traffic cones.

Next up, surprising no-one, it will be more from Corvus to keep adding on to the city table! 

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

I'm going to be honest, I'm going to be stretching the definition of this goal this year, I can already promise that! 

This month's game was Late War Flames of War, where I ran the new Bulge US Airborne against Scotty's Bulge German Panzergrenadiers. 

To cut a long story short, the Germans were attacking in a No Retreat, and ran into some very determined Para defenders. Lessons were learned about 30cm Nebelwerfers (they hurt dug in infantry a lot), minefields (reluctant troops are not a fan of unpinning), and the M36 Jackson (because AT14 is very much a thing). All in all, it was an 8-1 to the Paras, but there were a couple of points where the game could have swung the other way.

Jackson ambush vs Aggressive Panthers.

Para platoon mobbing three Hornisse, who came close to sneaking the objective!

It was great practice for playing in the mid war doubles tournament next month!

5. Paint a new historical army

This month I finished up four M36 Jackson turrets, to put on top of M10 hulls that I had painted last year, specifically for the game vs Scotty. 

The Jackson Four...

Based on their performance, the Bulge Paras will be getting more than a few more outings!

A more timely progress update? Excellent....

Pooch

No comments:

Post a Comment