Tuesday 19 July 2022

The Sliver Bayonet - Unit No. 2

I have been very guilty of magpieing this first half of the year and I am currently painting 5 armies. One KoW, three FoW and my Silver Bayonet Russians. Of course there are other continuing projects like VaS but the one I am really excited about are my Russian Silver Bayonet list. The first thing that struck me was the Werebear. What a fantastic option for the list. The next thing that attracted my attention away from my British list was the Champion of Faith, a figure that can doctor at range, that's cool. The last thing that finally got me hooked and the models ordered were the very sweet Perry Armed Peasants. There are some terrific figure in this box. So with all that considered an order to Northstar and Perry was dispatched. I am not the most patient guy - so waiting for the orders to arrive was a bit painful, but it did give me an opportunity to get two other projects underway. As luck would have it the orders arrived in the letterbox together and off I skipped to the (very overcrowded) hobby table. Delighted with the figures I got started.
The figures sorted - giving me lots of options - I based them first. I do prefer to base the figures for painting, I find it easier. The next job is to choose the colours. As my guide I am going to use the Perry painting examples. I like the grey, earthy tones for this list and as they are mostly in winter garb I want to get that cold Russian winter feel going. You should know that in Silver Bayonet the units are under 8 figures strong and I am painting 16 figures. Again this is to give me options as I haven't created a list yet and I am not sure how much a werebear will be a ball and chain at a whopping 30 points. With a Champion of Faith at 20 points that is half my list already. The Peasants will make amazing Irregulars, and as blogger Scotty has shown me, his Spanish Irregulars are amazing. The Infantry will allow me to get some cheap bodies in there but as to how they will play on the tabletop I'll need options.
Progress started well and even the weather played its part by giving me a couple of rainy days. The whole unit came together well and I made a decision on a list to try first, and so these models were prioritised. My Officer Pavel Andreyavich Kolsky is backed up by his Champion of Faith Father Trotsky and his faithful servant Pietr, who also happens to be a Werebear. Pietr's brother Vasily is a hunter extraordinaire Irregular. The last 4 are Jaegers of varied experience, Ivan, Dmitri, Boris and Aleksey. So with the list in hand, the models painted, I'm off to the club to enjoy this brilliant game.

No comments:

Post a Comment