Monday 31 January 2022

Pooch's January update

Well, January started with a hiss and a roar- 9 days of holidays will do that to start it! To help me achieve my goals, I decided to set myself the task of making progress against each of my goals each month. In reality, that actually just means that in addition to playing a game, painting some DAK and painting something I already own, I will also be painting something for the historicals, and working on terrain. 

So with January now done, how did I do on making progress towards my goals?

1. Paint a platoon of DAK each month

This month kicks off with one of my favourite units for the DAK- the 15cm Lorraine Schlepper!

Resin models from Battlefront, these are just such nice models, and were an absolute joy to paint. They will be an important part of our Panzershrek army, so it's good to make a start with that list in the right way!

Four guns of 15cm goodness!

But of course, any artillery battery is nothing without an observer team to spot the fall of the rounds for them, and make sure they hit their targets. For the DAK in Flames of War, this task falls to a Panzer II. I converted this one from a Zvezda Panzer II, namely to carve the hatches off, and create some new open hatches from some sprue off cuts to make an open hatch for the observer himself to sit out of. The Panzer II OP also has a cross instead of a number on the turret side, making it even easier to identify which one he is.

"No, no. Fire at where I am pointing, where I am pointing you fools!"

Next up? Panzer IIIs I think!

2. Add something to armies I have already painted

I've made some progress here, completing four Sisters with boltguns, to add to the Retributor Squad, bringing it up to a full allotment of 10 Sisters.

Not the most exciting, and photographing white really shows up how bad my camera is....

But not only did I finish up four sisters, I also finished up a Reaver Titan for Adeptus Titanicus!

On the left, with it's sister Titan on the right

Finishing up this Reaver frees up the table for something larger....

3. Finish up a table of terrain

Big progress on this one! I bought a full set of terrain tiles from Battlekiwi, enough to make a 3x3 city table. Assembly was a dream, and after some airbrushing, I had a full 3x3 base sorted! 

The board as it currently stands

Close up of the subway station

And some zombies having a stroll through the park....

Next month, probably some buildings and things to put on top of it! 

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

Now this was a successful one this month. First up I started with a game of Art de la guerre, starting the Celts off with the quintessential match up of Romans vs Barbarians!

The thin Roman line, about to be hit by a whooooole lot of Celts

And the Celts hit!

The game itself played really well, it felt incredibly cinematic for the barbarian hordes streaming down onto the Romans, overwhelming them with sheer weight of numbers, especially as the Romans got bogged down in multiple rounds of combat.

And then the Celts took on the Seleucids....

Pike doing mean things to Gaestati

Celts doing mean things to Celt-wannabes

And then the Celts took on some Scots!

The Celt first line about to hit some Vikings....

Skirmishers face off. This combat lasted about 4 turns, before the Javelin finally won

So for the first month, I didn't only manage one game, but three games, and of the same game system, this is unheard of outside of a tournament for me! 

Does that mean I now know the rules? No, not really. But I am enjoying the game. I think that ADLG is going to be a game you see much more over the year I think- but just not next month, I already have a plan for that!

5. Paint a new historical army

I've been cracking into painting my 6mm American Civil War Union Army, with the goal of completing a division each month until it is done. I've decided to start with the Union 2nd Corps, so naturally I needed to start with their leader, Major General Winfield Hancock....

Hand painted Corps flag? Check!

And joining Hancock is my first division completed, the 1st Division of the Union 2nd Corps at Gettysburg, led by Brigadier General Caldwell....

Note the Irish Brigade with their green flag

And I finished up some batteries of Union Artillery....

Mixture of Napoleons and Rifled guns

And I also finished up a couple of units of Zouaves, the 146th New York and the 114th Pennsylvanian...

Zouaves in 6mm definitely caused some "why am I doing this" moments....

And I also finished up two units of dismounted Cavalry, two mounted Cavalry, two Horse Artillery and a Commander!

6mm horses I did not enjoy.

Rifled guns, and yellow piping. Must be Horse Artillery!

So my plan of "only" doing one Brigade failed hard. Next up is another Division (or two) of Union Infantry!

And that's it for this month, progress made- 11 months to keep it up!


Progress is good.... but more is expected!

Pooch

No comments:

Post a Comment