Tuesday 2 August 2022

Pooch's July update

Well, that's July done, and a timely update to boot. So, I’ve got 5 months to go, but how did my progress go compared to the painting goals?

1. Paint a platoon of DAK each month

My last unit for the 140 point Mid War doubles competition is now completed, and it's a platoon of sneaky sneaky 221 and 222 armoured cars. They were finished in my usual style using the airbrush, chipping medium and oil wash.

I painted up both the MG and the 2.8cm ATR turret, just in case I wanted to swap them out.

The whole platoon of four armoured cars

The 2cm turret vs the 2.8cm ATR turret

Overall, I'm really happy with them, and the force is coming together really nicely. I still have a bunch to paint to round out the year- more than a platoon a month worth to be sure!

2. Add something to armies I have already painted

First up this month, is something for my sub-goal of painting Adeptus Sororitas, a unit of Celestian Sacresancts. I painted them disassembled, so they really only came together as finished on the last day of the month, despite me painting their heads on the first day of the month! 

5 Sacresancts with Halberds. Because Halberd.

I do so love my worn gold recipie

But also this month I managed to finish up something that has been slowly coming together for the past three months- a second Warlord Titan for the Legio Asotrum!

Looking menacing as heck in blue and yellow....

And did I mention the weapons are magnetised?

I still have one more titan to paint- not sure if that will be a next month job however!

3. Finish up a table of terrain

So. Corvus Games do amazing buildings right? So when I spotted that they had a three story theatre, I couldn't help myself and bought it. It was a mammoth paint over the last couple of months, using a combination of airbrush and brush. It's been staring at me, mocking me for failing to finish it for that whole time, and I made sure to knock the b*stard off this month!

And it is oh so big (that's what she said)

Posters were found on the internet, printed and stuck on. Just adds to the feel!

Far less glamourously, I finished up a small altar for my Silver Bayonet table too. Which took me... 15 minutes to paint? Compared to 2 and a half months for the theatre. Time is stupid.

Creepy tree now has a creepy altar. It's only right.

Next up... well I do have another Corvus building sitting downstairs ready to paint, so maybe that?

4. Play a game a month, that was different to the last month

As you will have read in McZ's recap, this month had the Panzershrek competition held up in Palmerston North. Scotty and I headed north, bringing with us a (questionably) mighty force of Panzer IIIs and IVs.

It looked good at least!

The games were really interesting- the Panzer III was better than I think we both expected, but was frequently outmatched by what we faced (I'm looking at you M3 Lee with a long 75mm!). We ended the tournament with 2 wins, 1 loss and 2 draws, and overall enjoyed the games because let's be honest, doubles is a great experience when you are co-generalling with a great person!

Crusaders vs 221/222 armoured cars. Amazingly, the Armoured Cars actually killed one (before they were slaughtered)

Don't let the infantry fool you- this was done by an ambush by Marders!

Formidable defensive position on one side of the table....

And this was the equally formidable defensive position on the other side of the table!

A mad dash of Panzer IIIs to run over some Finns- those three tanks were knocked out by direct fire from 105mm artillery. And were all my CO at the time. I was beginning to get the sense it was personal...

Finnish ski troops in the desert. Because that's how gaming goes sometimes.

Did we enjoy the tournament? Absolutely. Will we be back next year? Absolutely.

Do I know what I will play next month? Absolutely not!

5. Paint a new historical army

I managed to force myself into knocking off the first component of my ADLG-R Thirty Years War later German Catholic army. I decided to buy the army from Khurasan in a few groups, mainly so that I didn't overwhelm myself into unmotivation by having yet more unpainted figures sitting next to me!

The first group is made up of 4 bases of Cuirassiers, 3 bases of Dragoons, 1 base of Schutzen, a medium cannon and my army camp. The camp was made from a couple of spare dragoons, and a reliquary from my bits box.

Here it is, in all 81 points of it's glory!

4 bases of Cuirassiers. Blackened armour doesn't like photos

Three bases of dragoons

A medium cannon, and a base of Schutzen

A reliquary being guarded by some Dragoons

So that is all of the Renaissance I own now painted, suppose I had better prep the next order, right?

FLAMES OF WAR FOLLOWED BY FLAMES OF WAR IS STRETCHING THE RULES...

Pooch

1 comment: