Saturday 14 December 2019

Post-membering December

So how did it go?

Short answer?  Not great, but 1-2 (rather than 0-3) which was nice. I played three Grenadier / Panzergrenadier armies. One with 4 88s, one with almost as many tanks as I had and one with not enough tanks to trouble me! I lost the first game assaulting into infantry attempting to win, I lost the second by being in very much the wrong place at the wrong time and won the third by being able to shenanigan my way through a lot of Panzerfausts and with a bit of steer from my opponent on how to do it!

I didn't really take too many photos of the games because they were very quick and rather hilarious but here's a few gems:
Schnell! 

Sneaky Pumas!

Amazingly, I lost this fight.... 
...and this one



Blogger Scotty's Mark IVs

Love this photo though! 
Lessons?

Even the very good FallschirmStuG is fearful in the face of the new Panzerfaust rules and the preponderance of manpacked AT that now lives in LW. When your Schurzen are useless and you hit on 1 less than your skill, assaulting into infantry platoons is a brave mans move now. In my last game against McBeth, he was cunningly using his command teams, Panzerschrecks and random infantry teams to give my StuGs what for. It was very clever and, but for some unfortunate misses, would have been very effective.

Thoughts?

55 points was pretty swingy - over 14 players, we barely managed two or three results that weren't 8-1. When you go down, you go quick and painfully. I found that my StuGs performed well against German armour and would have faced off well enough with Shermans I suspect. The 5 point Firefly was basically useless but it looks great.

I did like the list overall and I think I will look at how to expand it to 100 points. That's probably going to be using a Beach Defence company and a FallschirmStuG company together which I do find oddly appealing. Either that, or I am getting me a serious setup of Pumas...

Next Time
Hmmm.... tough question. I'm staring at the 2020 project table and pondering if I can knock something off quickly. There's some part-completed stuff there that's looking fairly promising so expect something a touch random for the second-to-last blog post of 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment