Saturday 30 March 2019

Leading the Guardsmen onward...


...or how I got some extra use out of the Scions command sprue

The Guard command squad box is cool. It's ageing somewhat ungracefully compared to some of GWs other kits but honestly, it's multipartness still gives builders so much value, this many years down the track! 

So here we go, with the four members of my Guard Platoon, and their fearless Lieutenant. 

First up we have the model I couldn't not build. I love the heavy flamer and it's so ridiculously oversized on a Guardsman. So he had to go in. 
Flameyo, hotman! 
Second up, I looked at the medic from the box and rated that a great big NOPE. Rolling out a bandage is just not that exciting. So I kitbashed together a medic using the cool accessories in the Scion command sprue. A missile launcher trigger arm, a sergeant's chainsword arm and the medical kit from the Scion sprue and the medic arriveth.

Because chainsaws are medical equipment in the grim dark future.
Every command squad needs an RT man and this squad is no exception. Officers have to give orders!

First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire!
The Guardsman is in darkness (because bad photographer me is bad) but the key here is the flag. Painting it was an absolute pig and it does not withstand too close a look but I love this model. 40K is diminished from a lack of flags.
Wavey Wavey!
Finally, the Platoon Commander. When I decided to use the beret heads from the Scion command sprue for my squad sergeants, the one with the eyepatch was always going to be saved for the Lieutenant. He looks super cool with his swagger stick and eyepatch!
Under armed, as a Guard officer should be. 
Here's the whole crew together! 


They've fitted in nicely with my existing Guardsmen so I've managed to keep them looking consistent even with the gap in painting.

Finally, a WIP of their sweet sweet ride:


Picked up cheap at a Con last year, this Chimera has taken a lot of manual labour to basically take it apart and reassemble it with some nice new bits. You can see the start of the camo stripes and the necessary front of hull stripe markings. I could hardly not.

Next time! 
Well, I'll finish the Chimera, to start with, and work on some other Guardsmen that I've gotten assembled. I've got some more M60s to build for a comp in three weeks which I really need to do if I want to get them painted in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment